Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lessons Learned

Last week I was teaching my eldest son how to be thrifty by patching his bike tire rather than having to spend money on a new one.

Unfortunately, yesterday the patch job gave way and the tire was kaput. So off we went to WalMart to buy a new inner tube. We were having some great one-on-one guy talk about life when all of a sudden a cop appeared behind us with lights a blazing.

My registration was past due (side note: we recently moved and the registration forms never made it to our house and I totally forgot about the whole renewal process) and the cop said that it's within the time frame where he might have to tow my car.

My son, in the back seat, commented to the cop, "I always wanted to see a police car with the lights on but never like this." The policeman got a chuckle out of this and was somewhat leinient. He didn't tow my car, but I still got a ticket. Bummer.

In any case, it makes for a good story for my son, and I was able to teach him what it feels like to get pulled over.

Lessons learned:
1) How to change a bike tire.
2) What happens when you're not proactive.

No comments: