Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A better frequent flyer program


I’ve spent a lot of time on airplanes this year. Delta just came out with their “Diamond” status – a step above Platinum. To reach this you have to travel the equivalent of flying to Jupiter and back. I’m just rounding Saturn as I type this post.

But before you try for that new status, let’s look at it another way. Let’s view it in terms of memories missed.

How much will that “status” cost you in personal experiences with your family and friends. Important Caveat: I’m more than willing to travel for my job, it’s how I get my job done and I like my job. But this year has been a bit extreme.

Some memories I’ve missed this year:
--A couple of weeks of summer with my kids
--Several family member’s birthdays
--And this week I missed my kids first day of school

I’m not saying you shouldn’t travel. When it happens you have to deal with it. I’m just wishing there was a way that we could better plan it around our personal lives. Wouldn’t you?

I think that airlines should come up with a better reward system, especially when we have to sacrifice our memories. If I was in charge, here’s how I would award points:

--Missing a child’s soccer game or recital: 1,000 bonus miles
--Missing a child’s birthday: 10,000 bonus miles
--Missing your anniversary: 50,000 miles (transferable to your spouse)
--Missing the birth of a child: You get to ride shotgun next to the pilot.

Com’on Jet Blue. If you did this, I’d be a regular passenger.

1 comment:

Will Murdoch said...

I don't know... I think that maybe if you miss the birth of a child that the airline could pay your divorce lawyer?