Monday, October 17, 2011

We are all Digital Farmers


On a farm, when the chickens needed feeding, the pigs needed slopping or the cow got out of the barn, you took care of it.  That was your job, day and night.  As a kid, when my dad and I were irrigating our apple orchard there were times we forgot to pull the headgate out of the creek. So, late at night, I'd trudge through the woods with a flashlight to take care of the chore.  I didn't like it, but I did it because I had to.

I've found that today we've all become digital farmers.  We get up early, not to milk cows but to work digitally with global partners and to ensure systems are up and running.

On a farm, you'd find that a fox got in with the chickens, today it's gremlins in the network. In either case, you have to answer the call quickly and efficiently to solve the problem so that the fox or gremlins don't eat your assets.

I find that many people complain they are "leashed" to their work day and night with mobile phones and email.  Although that may be true, we have jobs to do whether it's collecting the eggs, irrigating the fields or replying to an urgent client need from another country.

It's interesting that the more things change the more they stay the same. I'm just glad my office doesn't smell like a barn.




No comments: