Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Just Ask

My wife is wise.

One of her famous quotes is, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." This is absolutely a correct principle.

For example, I was recently asked to conduct a speaking session at a conference. However, if I wanted to attend any of the other sessions I was going to have to register for the conference at a $1,500 fee. Ouch!

So, I called the conference and asked, in a very nice way, if there was any way they could comp me in. After a few minutes on hold she said she'd talked with the head of the conference and they'd provide me a pass for free.

Today I'm traveling back from Chicago, I've got an hour before my flight and really wanted a quiet place to work. So I walked into the Delta Sky Club and asked if I could go in for a while although I don't yet have a pass to get in. The gentleman at the desk looked through my records and saw that I travel a lot and that I will soon have earned a pass. He let me in.

People are generally nice (with a few bad eggs thrown in the mix) and will usually try to be of assistance -- especially if you are courteous and kind to them. I know that if someone asks me for something, I will really try and help them out.

13 years ago I asked my wife to marry me. Either she was feeling especially generous on that beautiful San Francisco day or I asked the right way (or maybe a bit of both). She said "yes" and my life has been blessed ever since.

The next time you're in a bind or need a favor, crack open the jar of honey and just ask real nice. You won't always get the answer you're looking for, but you should always ask.

Happy anniversary Laura!

No comments: