Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Have you heard about the Singularity?

I just finished reading this article on the coming Singularity. What? You haven't heard about this event predicted to occur in about 2020? I hadn't either...at least not in these terms. WARNING: The article will fry your brain around the edges a bit.

Here's a taster to get you interested:

The difficult thing to keep sight of when you're talking about the Singularity is that even though it sounds like science fiction, it isn't, no more than a weather forecast is science fiction. It's not a fringe idea; it's a serious hypothesis about the future of life on Earth.

This movement even has a university, SingularityU, and an annual conference. I have a friend from Denmark that actually paid the $25,000 to attend the university last year. He's trying to get me to go next year, saying that it is the most amazing experience he's ever had. I'll let you know if my wife let's me sell her car so I can afford the tuition.

So, read the article to get a glimpse of what this means. For me, I'm pretty excited about it all!

No comments: