Thursday, October 2, 2008

Converting MSS2 and wmv9 files to mov

After weeks of research and e-mails to many different vendors, I've finally figured out how to convert an MSS2 file into a format that I can modify in Final Cut Pro. I'm still a bit uncertain about the relationship between MSS2 and wmv9, but there was a relationship in my files. I believe (and I could be incorrect) that MSS2 are essentially screen sharing files. Which would make sense because my files are webcast archive files produced with Citrix (Go-to-meeting).

So here's what I found.

1. You need to download Windows Media Encoder 9 onto a PC (it's free).
2. Click on "Convert a File".
3. Locate your original file and name your new file.
4. Continue to follow the simple onscreen steps until your file has been saved.
5. Transfer your file to your Mac.
6. Buy and download Flip4Mac WMV Studio Pro ($99).

[note: Flip4Mac doesn't support MSS2 files yet. That's why you'll have to go through the Windows Media Encoder steps. In the encoder you'll be saving your file out as a wmv3, which IS supported by Flip4Mac which enables you to complete the following two steps.)


7. Open your new wmv file in QuickTime.
8. Export your file as a mov file.
9. Import into Final Cut Pro and edit as needed.

I'm continuing my process by squeezing my final files into flv using Sorenson Squeeze.

It's a relatively painless process, but it does take some time to do.

Just you you know, I've also tried to convert the wmv3 files to mov using ffmpeg on my PC and ffmpegX on my Mac but keep getting a bunch of errors. If I find a fix to that I'll post it as well.

2 comments:

monkeynoises said...

Windows Media Player has issues playing certain MSS2 (WMV9 Screen) encoded files...i.e. you get audio, but can't seek or see the video, or only sometimes can.

My suspicion is it has something to do with the Video Renderer that gets chosen by WMP (i.e. it uses VRM9 the DirectX based one)...or maybe there is something about the way the Screen codec DMO was implemented, which means WMP doesn't like it.

One solution is to use Windows Media Encoder, to rencode these problematic videos.

However, if you just want to play the MSS2 files, then here is an alternative method.

Get hold of GraphEdit (part of Windows SDK/DirectX SDK) - you can find it separately downloadable too.

Drag your .WMV onto it - it will build a Graph using the Screen Decoder DMO, and a regular Video Renderer (non DirectX).

Now you can play.

I used this method to play the Mike Taulty LINQ videos.

osx mov to dvd said...

wow u've made my work much simpler...thanx
You're truly a lifesaver.