Sunday, September 13, 2009

Thumbs and Mitre Saws Don't Mix

So, I almost lost a digit yesterday. While cutting a lopsided piece of wood for a neighbor, I had to hold the "blade guard" up so it could cut properly. But somehow the thick plastic blade guard got sucked into the blade's path causing a deafening noise while shrapnel exploded across my front yard.

After I checked to make sure my son and neighbors were OK, I felt a horrible pain in my left thumb. The very thumb that was holding up the blade guard just moments before. Was I going to look down and see half my thumb missing?

My thumb was still there. Luckily. But the thumbnail was lifted up during the explosion -- it will probably fall off in a few weeks and look really ugly.

So, the moral of this story is simply, "don't be dumb" and "always wear safety glasses".

2 comments:

Brad said...

Good post, Matt. It reminds me of a summer job I had while in college at a heating & air conditioning (HVAC) company. I worked in the shop with Joe, bending, cutting and folding sheet metal into custom air ducts all day long. For the first month, I sliced the palms of my hands every single day - that's how sharp the edges sheet metal was.

Joe had also removed all of the safety guides & gear on the equipment, "... cause it just slows you down," he'd explain with a cigarette dangling from his mouth.

Honestly I remember my last day of work at the shop - and I was so happy that I didn't lose a finger, or cut myself too badly. It was great motivation heading back to college. :)

blog haber güncel blog said...

Spectrum Bridge, parent company of SpecEx